
This was the HUGE dune that we "bashed". Oh. My. Scary.
I love everyone's expressions: MD is unsure. Dad is as cool as a cucumber. My mom and I are giving smiles as if to mask our uneasiness. What a ride!
One of the many pit stops along the way. Did you know Flamingos migrate to Qatar? Can you spot them? I never in a million years thought I'd see flamingos in the Middle East.
Here is our Ethiopian driver, Brook. He enjoyed every scream and squeal coming from the back two seats.
The striped mimers plus three with Saudi Arabia in the background.
MD collecting tiny seashells.
My boys enjoying the Inland Sea.
On our way to the Inland Sea.
MD's and my first camel ride.
Those are TALL animals.
MD practically had to do the splits.
A lot of firsts for everyone. I think we may have given my mom a heart attack with the dune bashing. We did things with that car that I didn't even know were possible. At first I thought it was just going to be a fun bumpy ride, especially since we had two kids in the car. So it was pretty unexpected (and frightening!) when the SUV took a dive to the left and slid down the first humongous dune. I was clutching my mom with my left hand and holding Clark down in his carseat with my right, as if that was going to help. And my mouth made embarrassing yelps all the way down. I could see Brook's (our Ethiopian driver) toothy smile in his rearview mirror with every scream-induced dive. He's been doing this for four years and never flipped once, although he's seen many Qatari's Land Cruisers turned over on the sand. Mary Deane still talks about it and asks me if we can go back. We finished the trip with a fun camel ride and walk along the Inland Sea beach. The water was beautifully blue and clear and it was neat to see Saudi Arabia (a shout out to Candice!) across the sea.







6 comments:
so so so amazing.
love the hat lamp shade.
I'm glad you noticed, I loved it too.
It looks like you had a great time. I love all the striped shirts. I wish I could have met your parents when they were here. Bad timing, I guess.
Wow. This looks amazing! What an adventure!
What a hoot this looks like! I love peeking at your blog! :) Have you heard the good CF news yet? We are celebrating the Vertex study finale. :) Liam starts the medication soon!
PS - I feel silly for sending my paper along. PLEASE don't feel obligated to read it - -it's long and boring. No one has that kind of time. You'd be better off getting a yummy treat or starting a fun project.
OK, later. ;)
Thanks for the Saudi shout out!! What fun you guys are having on the sands of Qatar! We rode camels in Egypt, I felt so incredibly unstable up there on those things! I have no idea how people actually ride them when they are moving faster than a snail's pace. I also am so shocked to see you in a Middle Eastern country in shorts!! You are obviously not in Saudi Arabia :) Glad you guys are living it up, and even happier your parents were able to come out. Nothing says a lift of spirits like family. Hugs to you.
Post a Comment