Monday, February 15, 2010

A Poetic Medium

A study I did of Georgia O'Keeffe's Red Canna


Watercolor. It’s what you don’t do as much as what you do do. They speak for themselves--the water, the brush, the paint, the paper. You provide the meeting point and then they do their own thing. The water picks up the pigment, a trace of burnt umber, a trace of cadmium red, it meets the paper and eddies through it’s miniscule grooves, taking with it a color this direction and a color that direction. The curling colors combine to make new shades and shapes. The bits of white paper are left alone as if purposefully avoided due to its assured poise--it too, has a part to play. It’s poetic and it fascinates me.


8 comments:

Rebecca said...

So Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I like it better than O'Keeffe's.

No Big Dill said...

It's wonderful, Ann.

Christina said...

Beautifully done, as usual, Ann. And I don't mean to simplify the hard work you put into it when I say "as usual." You just beautify everything you put your mind to!!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and so comforting. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Tina (grandma)

Carol said...

Wow Ann. Apparently you got over your rustiness. :)

l i z said...

whimsical.
i like it.

dannii said...

i really hope i can come over and watch you paint and you can teach me some things. i love the movement of colour on water - so peaceful and organic.