Friday, May 29, 2009

He Does

I find it comforting when people tell me they can’t comprehend what we are going through.  Maybe it’s because some people have stopped asking how we’re doing with all of this and I’m still sorrowing.  Maybe it’s because we still shower, go grocery shopping, go to church and talk on the phone that all must be okay.  Maybe it’s because I feel like no one ever could understand it; even Brendon and I cope with our new world in different ways.  Sure, you can come over and spend a day or two and see our unending schedule of meds and doctor visits and think to yourself, “well, that’s not so bad; I’m sure you’d just get used to it.”  No, you don’t get used to it.  I don’t mean to sound cynical, I’m just discovering for the first time that I don’t have to have someone who knows exactly how I’m feeling and it’s been hard to feel so alone.  But truly, I am not alone--the Savior has been through this too and I get constant reminders from the Spirit to turn to the Atonement.  I keep telling myself, “they just don’t understand and that’s okay, because He does, He does.” 

9 comments:

No Big Dill said...

That's exactly how we need to face all our challenges in life, but even though we can't and probably won't ever understand what you are going through, we still offer our love, prayers, and support on your behalf.

PS cute headband!

Ann said...

Thank you Katy. I didn't mean to imply that we haven't felt the prayers and support from so many people who love us. We really couldn't do any us this without all of you!

Unknown said...

I think only those that have a CF child could truly empathize and really KNOW what you are feeling, doing and thinking. You are so wise to turn to One who not only knows, but can be there for you everyday, everyhour, every struggle and every joy.
NICE family portrait!

Christina said...

It's SO true. No mortal can understand your road right now, but they don't have to. I'm grateful for the One who understands and comprehends ALL things--especially since He is the one who can heal my loved ones--like you--when I cannot. We'll keep praying, though!

Jordan said...

That seems to be the bulk of the struggle in the things we are "handed". The weight of not being understood. Like Dad said, you are wise to know where to turn when that is the case. Also, the daily effort we spend to try to understand--that is love, right?

Jordan said...

Yes, wonderful family portrait. You are incredibly beautiful.

Meagan said...

Ann! And Brendon! And Mary Deane! I think I was truly prompted to look at your blog today. I have never really been into blogs (consistency and I are not such good friends these days!)but today I kept thinking, doesn't Ann have a blog? So here I am and I want your email! I have loved catching up with you and your adorable family through your blog today:)

Love,
Meagan

Jessica said...

Hi Ann, beautiful photo! Thanks,as always, for sharing your thoughts. I think we all go through experiences where we feel alone because it seems like no one else knows what we are really going through except the ONE, as you mentioned. I have found, however, that people do their best to support and to find ways to relate and that is comforting. Sometimes it is nice to hear, 'I don't know what you are going through, it must be difficult, but I love you and think you are doing a great job surviving.'

hillary and britton said...

You are in our prayers, and I think about what you are going through and I cannot comprehend. You and your family are beautiful. Oh, and I really like your red background (it is all white things right?)