A Great Blue Heron in our own backyard!
Goslings learning to swim
One of my favorite things about moving to a new area (whether permanent or temporary) are the new bird songs. Sadly, we too often become numb to our environment. We don't acquaint ourselves with our senses in the way they were meant to be. Our senses are to be potent, but we frequently leave them unused and wanting for a tune-up.
I once had a teacher announce to our class that he heard a bird sing for the first time in over a year. "How is that possible?!" I thought. But it is possible. It is not due to the lack of singing birds but to the lack of hearing ears and seeing eyes. The interesting thing is, this teacher had just brought home his baby girl for the first time. Maybe he was seeing, hearing and experiencing all his senses as if for the first time because he knew this was what his own child was doing. It was a new world for her. The clink of a measuring spoon, or the woosh of the bathtub faucet was enough to warrant her full attention and so he did too.
Life is to be heard, felt, seen, tasted, and smelt--both the pleasant and unpleasant. So, do yourself a favor and go outside and listen to a bird sing, you'll be glad you did.

5 comments:
I just did!! Really, we identified a Northern Cardinal and what we think is a Northern Flicker. Miss birding.
Can't wait for new birds. Korea has the same as Utah. What?
Next to our stream we have seen a great white heron taking a sip. It looks dream-like.
What a cool site to find in your own back yard! Just today Nora and I went walking through St. James's Park and admired the birds. (Pelicans, pigeons, coots, and swans)
I think I might just think of this every time I hear a bird sing now (which may happen a bit more often now) :)
p.s. Did you see that I won those earrings on your sister's giveaway? I'm so excited! Thanks so much for sharing!
Post a Comment