Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sweet Reminders




I don’t think it was by chance that we found out Mary Deane had Cystic Fibrosis only days before Easter. Easter, one of the most sacred days of the year, teaches us and reminds us of the Savior and his triumph over death—both physical and spiritual death. I feel as though I have experienced a little part of death these past 7 days. I have had to mourn the death of expectations of a healthy baby girl. I have mourned the death of control over what happens to her body. I have mourned the death of having my parents right by my side during this time. I have mourned the death of being able to fix what has gone wrong. I have mourned the death of our happy and largely carefree life as the three of us.


Job once asked: “If a man die, shall he live again?” (Job 14:14), and the answer is a resounding yes!


The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said: “Because of the Savior’s resurrection we will overcome death and become the beneficiaries of His mercy and grace. In a world of trouble and uncertainty, His peace fills our hearts and eases our minds. Jesus is in very deed “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6).”


We will, one day, overcome every type of death, be it physical, spiritual, emotional, or mental. There are no limits on what the Atonement of Jesus Christ can do for us. We are the only ones who put up those barriers. I pray that we let the healing power of the Atonement work for all of us for I know that He mourned not only for us but even now, He mourns with us.


I am grateful for this sweet Easter reminder and that we have a daily reminder every morning when our bodies rise from our beds just as the Savior rose from His tomb. All things testify of Him, may we see those daily testimonies.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing your hope. I am sad that your parents are so far away right now--I can only imagine how difficult it is for all of you. Sweet MD, I need to see her again!

No Big Dill said...

I wish I was there to hold you and Mary Deane.

Christina said...

Easter actually took on a special meaning for us, too, as we thought about and prayed for your family. I really think MD has influenced a lot of lives already in the 6 months she's been on the earth.

Unknown said...

I love your ETERNAL perspective in the
NOW of all your are experiencing.

Rebecca said...

Oh the big picture. Thanks once again for teaching me.

Jordan said...

It takes strength to see the beauty even in an ugly disease. You will pass that strength on to a beautiful girl.

Kemp Kuties said...

Thank you for your words on the renewal of life and the strength that we can receive from our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the great blessing of His Atonement for us. Easter is my favorite day because of these sweet rememberings.

I can truly sympathize with situation: my babies were 3 months early and experienced intolerable trials. My expectation of a perfect pregnancy and perfect babies was fleeting. Today my girls are 2 1/2, and I continue to marvel at them and their resiliency. Mary Deane has shown you how strong you are, and how strong she is too. Continue to be strong and take strength in your loved ones and your Savior.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brendan and Ann,

Just a note to let you know how you are in our thoughts and prayers. We are in awe of your faith and strength-what an example you are to all of us! I put Mary Deane's name in the St. George Temple April 1. We love you and are hopeful it helps to know your extended family truly cares.

Love, Aunt Jill and Uncle Royce

Ashley Thalman said...

Ann, you are on my mind. Your bravery and reliance on the Savior. Your strong marriage and love of your family. Your sweet positivity and willingness to lean on your faith.

Thank you for sharing your struggle, and your strength.