“Write the good and the bad”. This was my mother’s advice to me some months ago. I haven’t stopped thinking about it, wondering how to make the balance between optimism and realism. Lord Byron said, “If I don’t write to empty my mind, I go mad.” I’m long overdue for a mind emptying.
It’s been a l o n g year for our family. We are now settled into our new home back in the states. The move from Qatar was unplanned but meant to be, although hard to do. It has been good for our family in so many ways. Especially for Mary Deane’s health. After watching it decline for nearly a year I was relieved to get her feeling better with adequate care. The biggest struggle with her (behaviorally) has been getting her to eat. Most days she eats three pieces of cereal and nothing more. After four years of begging, forcing, pleading, and crying on both our parts we decided to have a g-tube put in--a surgery that creates a hole in her abdomen giving direct access to her stomach. The surgery and following hospital stay were nerve racking. She did well but it took time to heal and is still pretty sensitive. For the first time she can now receive all of her enzymes to help her digest and we can get in some much needed nutrition. I was so anxious to have the g-tube put in that I was completely blindsided by my emotional reaction to it. One of the nice things about CF is, for the most part, you can’t tell she has it by looking at her. It has been one of those things I’ve held onto, knowing that it would help her to have a more normal life. But now, she has this plastic contraption sticking out of her belly--a visual reminder that her life isn’t normal. That first week after surgery, she walked so carefully with her shoulders slumped forward as she scuffled her feet to minimize the pain. My four year old had turned into a 90 year old. I thought our days of tickling were over. Brendon didn’t play with her the same. He told me he thought he’d never be able to throw her up in the air again. Even Clark had to learn to play with her differently. I could hardly stand it. I hadn’t prepared myself for such a loss. But, that week turned into a couple of months and as she slowly healed we slowly learned the boundaries. I’m happy to say we still wrestle and tickle but with caution. Sometimes it ends with accidental tears but nothing a good cuddle couldn’t fix (gratefully). I now stop whatever I’m doing to watch Brendon toss her up and hear her giggle--something I won’t be taking for granted. All four of us, especially MD are learning to adjust. We are learning tricks to help her (and us) no doubt guided by the spirit. Oh life! I keep waiting for that space of time when we can just coast but it’s not meant to be. Instead these experiences just intensify the good and the bad. And I’m learning to be okay with that.


10 comments:
I love you, Ann. Thank you for writing, so graciously, the good and the bad.
Your family is so beautiful Ann. The cheesy grins on both of your children's faces are adorable. I hope this year will be much easier for all of you.
So beautifully written. I think of your sweet family often; you are an inspiration to live a good life daily.
Gosh, Clark is such a little boy. Not that I have ever met him in person, but WOW he is a big boy. You are a good woman, Ann. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. My love to you.
Ann, I check blogs so rarely these days, and just happened to tune in the day you wrote this beautiful sentiment. I learn and am inspired every time I read your reflections. Thank you for that. You have such a beautiful heart. : ) You're family is so lucky to have you.
And where did you move? Utah? If you're ever in Arizona, let's do that lunch!
Firstly, I love this photo of your sweet family, and one would never know there was something "wrong" with any one of you.
Secondly, I think you have created the perfect balance between optimism and realism. We all need to be reminded that there is so much of the messy and blogs tend to trim and crop that part so nice neatly. Thank you for sharing, because then we can rejoice with you as well as mourn with you. Love you so.
You are such a wise woman. You take after your mom. Thank you for sharing this.
I have to second what Katy said. I don't read blogs much any more, but what a nice read to see something real. I'd like to open it up and see that CF meant "Cure Found", but yes, optimism and realism is a balance I struggle with daily, and you seem to have found it here. Your family is so lucky to have you Ann. So very lucky.
Beautiful thoughts and beautiful people. I hope things are better and better since you wrote this. We miss you guys and pray for you all the time.
I see on Katy's blog that you have had another little one join your family. How exciting! Congratulations to you and yours :)
Post a Comment