Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mourning and Rejoicing

MD on her 4th Birthday



As I tucked my face into her neck, just below her ear, her shoulder met my skin and her giggle entered my ear.  I took a deep breathe in through my nose letting every scent of her comb through me.  It was sweet and salty with a hint of medicine. I tried to permanently register, never wanting to forget her scent.  Just in case. Just in case one day I would have to remember it.  

Cystic Fibrosis is a terminal illness.  Terminal is a hard word to accept.  Mary Deane’s health has become more serious this last year.  It was the first time I could actually see it take a toll on her outward appearance--circles under eyes, x-rays showing more scarred lung tissue, no weight gain, losing hair, not her happy energetic self, refusing to eat, distended and painful belly, and so on.  Three hospitalizations, two ER trips, and a surgery for a g-tube to be put in (a feeding tube that goes directly into her stomach) later and things are finally starting to settle down and we are seeing some wonderful improvements.  Along with some personal trials, all of this put me in mourning.  It’s a slow process with CF but it does kill.  I don’t know when she’ll be taken from us but I have daily reminders that this time is precious.  These reminders take me two ways--one to mourn and one to rejoice.  There is so much unknown about MD's condition that forces me to go through mourning periods knowing that I could lose her.  I don't know how to handle it.  I ache to think of the things she would miss.  I ache to think that I could possibly miss out on raising her.  It is times like these that I turn to the Savior and to the comfort  of his promised blessings and doctrine.  Joseph Fielding Smith taught: 



"Joseph Smith taught the doctrine that the infant child that was laid away in death would come up in the resurrection as a child; and, pointing to the mother of a lifeless child, he said to her: “You will have the joy, the pleasure, and satisfaction of nurturing this child, after its resurrection, until it reaches the full stature of its spirit.” There is restitution, there is growth, there is development, after the resurrection from death. I love this truth. It speaks volumes of happiness, of joy and gratitude to my soul. Thank the Lord he has revealed these principles to us."



That is possible because of the Atonement. It gives me such comfort and peace.  I don't understand it or its infinite characteristics, but I have a testimony of it because I feel it in my life.  But, Mary Deane and her illness also make me rejoice.  Each day is a blessing.  I’ve learned to not take for granted the gift of life.  Especially our interaction together.  That is what life is about.  Kneeling side by side in prayer--MD eyeing Clark making sure he’s doing it right, Clark wiggling all over and Brendon and I smiling at each other in contentment.  Or when their little hand quietly slips into yours as you walk.  Or folding tiny pieces of clothing knowing the bodies they will house.  Or watching Clark take bite after bite of cucumber.  Or the kids jumping onto our bed and sleepy bodies waiting for us to get the day going.  Or MD’s sincere “I love you, mommy” when she feels particularly satisfied or understood by me.  Or hearing panicked giggles coming up the stairs and fatherly roars trailing behind.  

I think both the mourning and the rejoicing are necessary as long as they point us to the big picture--the plan that this is why we are here, to learn and grow but to have joy.  And sometimes, I experience them simultaneously like that afternoon registering her scent.  I’m slowly learning to accept the hard with the good because most the time, I recognize the good because of the hard.  


11 comments:

Ali said...

I love this. The Lord is truly merciful after everything we experience! Thanks for the reminder. Love you.

Unknown said...

You eternal perspective humbles me.

Ang said...

Ann, I am on my knees right now praying for you and your sweet tender family. This is beautiful and inspires me to live better and love more deeply, and rejoice even in the midst of mourning. You are incredible. Much love and prayers ate coming your way from the Schills. Love, Angela

cindy baldwin said...

What a lovely post. You guys are in my prayers! I'm sorry to hear that things have been difficult this year. The only thing I can say is that CF is a strange and unpredictable illness. I came very close to death as a baby/toddler, and then my health stabilized and I went on to be a very healthy child with few complications from CF until I was a teen. Five years ago, my health was in a really bad rut and I was not sure I'd ever get back to where I had been before - and yet, I did. I'll be hoping and praying that MD can experience a similar time of good health after her trials.

Wesley said...

Your strength to write such beautiful yet difficult words strengthens me.

Dianna said...

I love you more every time I read another one of your posts. I so admire your perceptive, expressive, poetic understanding of this mortal life. MD is such a treasure and that photo of her is breathtaking. We still pray for your family all the time and hope all of you will experience long lasting times of health. I also just noticed that you are friends with my cousin Angela Schill - so cool.

Jessica said...

Oh Ann, I cry for you. I am overwhelmed that you have to mourn in such a tender, personal way but that you also rejoice in the moment, never wanting to forget a detail. Hugs.

kera said...

I think I type this every so often on this space but ill repeat. I do not know you but I feel a connection as we have good friends whose daughter Mary Alice has CF. we recently went to a CF charity event where 35k was raised. I pray that a cure is found for your MD. My heart aches for your heart as a mother knowing there is a chance you may not see MD experience a long full life. You always find positive & that inspires me. I will continue to pray for your sweet girl and I will continue to go to CF events hoping for that cure that forever puts this foundation out of business.

B said...

The lessons we learn when people we love can be lost are hard ones. Too hard sometimes. You are better than me - finding ways to rejoice in the mourning. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you, amiga querida. Hugs to you and yours.

E.W. said...

I know this sounds crazy but I think a Paleo diet may help with some of the issues with CF.

http://nutrilithic.com/about-me/

and

http://www.robbwolf.com

I am sending you good thoughts and prayers either way, I just thought the information might be helpful.

Rebecca said...

That picture of Mary Deane is so beautiful; I love her smiling eyes.
Thank you for sharing your love and faith. You are amazing.