Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cause for Squealing



I may or may not have squealed when I saw camels for the first time after moving to Qatar. Sure, I had seen camels before but always in the zoo and certainly never in their bonafide environment. The Arabic meaning of camel is "beauty" and they actually have beauty contests and races here. The camels used to be raced by children but due to ethics, have been replaced by mini robots. We've yet to catch a race since they don't race on a schedule but we're determined.



What you probably don't know about camels:

1. Their red blood cells are oval shaped to prevent clumping when dehydrated allowing them to go long periods of time without water. They are they only known mammal to have oval red blood cells.
2. Camels can drink up to 40 gallons at a time.
3. They can kick in all four directions with each of their legs.
4. Camels can close their nostrils to protect from wind and sand.

(Info from environmentalgraffiti.com)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Informative and interesting article on Camel. God Bless You.

astuteabode.blogspot.com

Krisanne said...

I have another fact about camels I just learned last week! Camels eyelids are very thin which enables them to see even when their eyes are closed. If they're traveling in a sand storm, they can close their eyes to keep the sand out and still move about safely. Cool,huh?

Unknown said...

Love the camel facts. Love being here with you for a few!

carey said...

What a cool/adventurous place you live in! I've always wanted that kind of adventure. I'll just live a little vicariously through you. :)