Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yielding


Clark was in bed, sleeping. Dishes were in the washer, washing. The evening was settling down into that savored space of time when duties are done and relaxing begun. MD had finished her daily two hour regimen of meds, nebs, and chest PT. It was then that I decided to yield to my daughter. The poor thing is in that hard three-year-old stage when she wants the power of when and how to do it all but just can't. I feel like I boss the girl all day long. Do this, don't do that. Stop kneeing Clark's head. Quit wiping your boogs on the bathroom door. Drink, drink, drink your enzymes. Get your thumpers. Not so loud. Less talking, more eating. Sit down. Be soft. Say it nicely. Oh, how I could go on. So, this night she was the boss to do the bossing. And she loved it. She told me where to go and how to do it with no interruption from her baby brother or my ever daunting to-do list. It made me happy to see her have such a good time. I think we should all take time to yield to our children every once in awhile. It's therapy, for both parties.

To yield: to submit, to relinquish, to give in. That is one way to define the verb.

To yield: to produce, to offer, to provide. Another interpretation.

They are saying the same thing but the latter gives an essence of confidence, of optimism. Do you give in or do you offer? There is such power in the attitude of the yielder. This has been on my mind for the past two and half years. No coincidence that subtracting those years would bring me to the time of MD's diagnosis. I have yet to just coast through life since that time. Yielding? Happening daily. But I'm working on offering rather than giving in. I offer myself to my husband, to my children, to this foreign country I now call home, and most importantly I yield myself as an offering to Him.

13 comments:

Judy said...

Absolutely beautiful. I think the next time I need to speak in church I'm just going to read your Brush Strokes at the pulpit for 15 minutes. I have always loved the "after dinner" lull. Still do. Thank you so much for being a good example to me. And the lesson on yielding. You're amazing.

Krisanne said...

Beautiful.

Christina said...

Just when I think you've written about all the profound things there are to write, you write something like this. I absolutely loved it and feel like I could do more of the second yielding, especially when it comes to my kids. Thank you for the amazing lesson (and the great idea for an activity to do with children!)

Anonymous said...

you inspire me and amaze me...you are the mom i pray to be

hillary and britton said...

really well put Ann. Nora is in that same stage, so I like the idea of letting her be boss sometimes! Thanks!

Jordan said...

Beautiful. I love how the two definitions of the word mesh to enrich the meaning of what you are saying here. Good reminder. Good.

whitneyingram said...

I know that feeling. "Do your homework", "Eat your fruit first", "Hang up your coat", "Throw that in the trash". It gets worse the older they get.

I grew up with a mom who had lots and lots of rules. Rules to just have rules. And she was consistent as the sunrise. Looking back, she had a lot of rules just to keep the control. I try really hard to let loose a bit. And sometimes even go back on my word. I think it shows my children I am not perfect and I don't pretend to be. And I think that also lets my children be in charge sometimes. I think yielding to my children gives them a chance to feel important.

Unknown said...

Wow!
How you get to be so wise?
I wish I were as wise as you!

Rebecca said...

Tears here. The thing is Ann, you are wise and most importantly you do wise, you actually are what you think. And that, is nothing less than amazing. Thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! Love you Ann,love all those that you yield to as well. Hmmm, some of my kids wiped their boogs on the bedroom wall. Gross no matter where they put it. LOL, Hugs, Tina, gramma, mom

Anonymous said...

Amazing and insightful post. Thank you. :) This part of life is especially difficult for me. I'm still trying to figure out how to best yield as well. You have a tricky but wonderful job and your family is blessed to have you, Ann.

Tasha said...

I love this Ann, the different definitions and our free agency how to use them. I admire so much the way you mother and I am inspired to yield more and let my children call the shots. You Knudsens are amazing.

Dianna said...

Wow! Yes, you are wise beyond your years. Another phrase to add to your definitions of yield is the phrase they use in this country for that traffic sign: Give Way. I think it fits nicely with what you have put down here so eloquently.