Thursday, September 22, 2011

Enjoying the Challenge

Our villa curtains shading us from the hot, hot Qatari sun


Our voices echo, hitting the barren walls as we sing "whenever I hear the song of a bird..." surprising us with how good it sounds.


Our feet turn coy at the cool tiles as they efficiently pick up any crumbs left along the way.


Our legs skip a stair at a time going up and down (especially with piles of laundry waiting to be done on the third floor).


The curtains filter in light from more than one angle of the house, giving things a natural glow.


The shower spray never gives an unfriendly shock of cool.


Our front step offers complimentary steam baths with a single crack of the door.


The terrace displays the sky's arabian sunsets perfectly.


The water fixtures are surprisingly aesthetic.


The walls conveniently shelter sleeping ears from noisy toddler ramblings.


The space makes for a more romantic setting once the kiddos are down.


We are working on making this house a home. It is literally three times bigger than our old two bedroom apartment and so I feel the need to work three times harder to fill it with all things good. It has been a process. Most of our stuff is making its way across the seas with weeks still to go. It's amazing how you just make-do. Sure, it's frustrating but I enjoy the challenge. No food processor? No problem. Give me the bottom of a cup and some elbow grease and I'll make those chickpeas into falafels. No mop? No problem. Hook a wet rag to the bottom of the sweeper and I'll make those floors shine.

I made myself sit down today and write all the things I loved about our new abode (see list above). Lately, that has been my remedy to feeling sorry for myself or complaining (because really, I have no reason to grumble). It has also been the key to adjusting to change--whatever that change is. Brendon jokingly refers to our villa as a "luxury dump". I think we've had more maintenance issues in the last month than we did our entire three years in Virginia. The latest is plumbing leaks causing mold and no doubt, pseudomonas. Needless to say, a nightmare for someone with CF. We are still working on getting it resolved.

Back to making this house a home. I can't help but imagine the house filling up with a warm and inviting spirit with each uncomplicated prayer said at MD's yellow bedspread, with each verse of I Am a Child of God sung in the cutest off pitch voice, with each welcome-home-kiss for Brendon, with each giggle from Clark trying to feed his momma cheerios with his sticky fat fingers, with each scripture read and pondered, and with each apology from this ever repentant wife and mother. And the list goes on.
We have two years to fill this villa up and I think I'll enjoy this challenge more than any other.

8 comments:

Sydney said...

You are incredible.

Jessica said...

It's amazing how much you have to work and change in different circumstances. I had the hardest time living in Richfield, we had lots of issues with our house too. But looking back it was one of the best times of our life.
Continue to be strong. :)

Unknown said...

You've already made it a little bit of heaven.

Anonymous said...

Awwww it sounds plenty full of lovely light. Sure wish we could fill it up for a day or two, week or two with our bodies. You are amazing and the Lord loves you so much for the great spiritual work that you are doing each day of your life. Love and hugs, tina,mom,gramma

Anonymous said...

body's....???? tina,mom, gramma

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to this Ann. Though BKK is lovely and yes, the place is easily 3 times bigger than our VA apt, the maintenance issue have worn on me (and the "fixes" are so haphazard and temporary sometimes, it's no wonder the 5 year old apartments feel 20 years outdated). You are a great example of patience. :)

I should note, too, that looking though your blob, I just love all the pictures and the angles. It really makes me want to be there in Doha with you. Your VA pictures did the same thing, even when we were just across the pond, you made our surroundings more magical just from your perspective. I love it.

<3 dannii

Dianna said...

You are an INCREDIBLE writer! This post is filled with such glorious poetry as well as insightful, powerful reflections. I hope you don't mind if I put a link to your blog on my blog and maybe highlight your posts on facebook now and then. Let me know if this isn't okay.

Amy said...

a house with lots of issues? Welcome to the fs! Though I would so love to have someone to pass them on to - right now we are LQA. and never again.