Monday, May 16, 2011

Summertime Soup


I'm not about to let the warmer weather keep me from eating my favorite meal--a big bowl of soup. So, I've been on the lookout for recipes of the traditional soup's cooler cousin. I find that I prefer "cold" soups only slightly chilled. Sometimes the cold can mask the flavors too much. Heidi Swanson's cookbook "Super Natural Cooking" intrigued me with her Crema de Guacamole with Crunchy Topopos recipe. It combines tomatillos, serrano chiles, cilantro, lime, avocados, and more into a very satisfying soup. It's on the higher end of tart but kept tame with smooth, ripe avocados. If you plan on making it, I suggest skipping the part where she has you strain the pureed tomatillos and serrano chiles mixture--the texture keeps it interesting. Please feel free to share any cold soup recipes that you love!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I got to slurp this soup and crunch on the tortillas. One word:
H E A V E N !

Anonymous said...

I will buy all the ingredients you need and we can make all the cool soup you would like. I love soup hot or cold too. Yum!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh that was from me, Tina, gramma, mom jones;) Getting excited to see you guys.

Rebecca said...

Yes, I tasted it too and had it for breakfast TWICE!

Stacia said...

If you get a chance to try Beet Gazpacho, don't pass it up. Yum!

It's been a while since I have been able check blogs, so I was completely surprised at how much Clark has grown since the last time I stopped in. He has to be the MOST adorable little boy I've ever seen... hands down! You grow cute babies Anne ;)

Ann said...

Stacia, that sounds delish! Do you have a recipe by chance?