
The yellow ones freshly grown at the Cicada Cottage
Nearly all of this yummy basil was added to the pot

Roasted goodness (tomatoes, onions, garlic)
The finished product
QUESTION: What do you do with two and a half pounds of mainly yellow tomatoes?
ANSWER: You cut 'em, core 'em, roast 'em, puree 'em, and then slurp 'em.
My sister Jordan and her cute rascals stopped in for a night as they made their way to Ohio and were kind enough to share their produce harvested at the Cicada Cottage (it is quite impressive and should be checked out here). I haven't had much cooking experience with yellow tomatoes and decided to scour the internet for an intriguing recipe. Yellow tomatoes are known for being less acidic and slightly sweeter than their red cousins. My favorite way to eat a tomato is roasted or sun-dried--there's nothing like that intensified, savory, sweet, slightly chewy mouthful. It usually makes the dish. And then add a bounty of basil? I'm hooked.
The tomatoes roasted for well over a half an hour giving the aroma time to make it to the bedroom, literally waking up Brendon. That made me happy. Don't you just love waking up to the smell of yummy food? It's a much more pleasant way to be awakened instead of some ringing noise from a clock. (Maybe I should invent a scented-siren alarm clock?)
I know it's a little too hot for soup, but we all know that never stops me. But after taking a sip later in the evening after the soup had cooled down to room temperature, I believe this soup would be yummy hot or cold.
Buen provecho!

6 comments:
Yummy! Will it last until Friday night?
FREEZE IT?!
I made a lentil minestrone soup this week because I decided that summer or not, I needed more soup in my life. Yours looks delicious!
read this yesterday, but last night i'm pretty sure i had a dream last night that i tasted this soup—but first somehow i was allowed a taste of the roasted greatness before it hit the food processor. i bet it's just as yummy in real life!
I just wish this:
that you would move in with me.
Yum!
Post a Comment