April 8th. A date forever marked in the calendar of my mind. This day, last year, MD was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic terminal illness that effects the respiratory, digestive and reproductive systems. Four o’clock in the afternoon was the determined time to let us know the results of the test. I sat with 6-month-old MD in my lap in our pediatrician’s office. We were talking and the doctor was paged for a phone call--our life changing phone call. I waited thinking how surreal this all was and that it couldn’t be possible that she could have this disease that I hardly knew anything about. She came back in, avoided my eyes, sat down and showed me the most sullen face. What was only a moment, felt multiplied exponentially. I can’t even recall the words she said. The test was positive. I felt my face burn red and my body get heavy as if gravity had just increased its pull. I started to cry and the Doctor handed me a kleenex. She was crying too, and I remember feeling touched. Our world had just cracked, as my sister Jordan later put it. I still remember Mary Deane’s little body sitting in my lap. She was blissfully unaware, and for the most part, still is today. I asked the doctor if I could call Brendon and she said of course and continued to sit there, watching me. Frustrated, having someone I hardly knew stare at me while I tried to make sense of it all, I asked her to leave. I just wanted to be alone, with Brendon, and in our own home. I called Brendon at work, and simply said, while crying “She has it, she has it.” Brendon was in disbelief and I asked him to come to the office. What a beautiful sight he was when he walked through that door. We held each other and cried. The doctor came back in and Brendon asked some questions. We were told to go immediately to the hospital (which, looking back now, I wish they would have given us that night to stay at home and recollect ourselves a little bit). We went home, told our parents, and hurriedly left for the hospital. The months that followed were some of the most agonizing we have ever experienced. We are eternally grateful for family and friends whose prayers and kind deeds have helped to lighten our load. One year later, I am happy to say that we have come a long way. MD’s condition continues to send me to my kneels daily and I know this burden is shared with our Heavenly Father and Savior. Someone once asked me, in regards to CF, if I consider myself blessed. I replied:
Yes! A million times, yes! Having a child with Cystic Fibrosis is hard, but it has taught us to enjoy each day to the fullest and to not take things for granted, we find joy in the little things of life. It has also made the divine more apparent in our lives. We see God's hand in the very details and we know He is ever aware of us and our sweet little Mary Deane. We know this is temporary and one day in the hereafter she will be healed completely. If having Mary Deane as my daughter means dealing with CF I accept it with a full heart and with gratitude!


10 comments:
You had me in tears. She is blessed to have you as a mother, Ann. You are strong and spiritual. That's what it takes. Love you all.
I can't believe it has been one year. I cried for you when I found out, but I have been inspired by your faith and courage in dealing with this trial. You amaze me Ann!
Your memory and mine is as fresh as if it happened yesterday. As I think of Mary Deane and the year that has passed, I don't define her as someone who has CF. She is more full of life than any one and a half year old I have ever seen. She, you and Brendon are full of life AND faith!
Ann, can I see my words through the tears? As your dad said, I remember everything about that moment you called. I had prayed it wouldn't be so but she is in God's hands--a pretty nice place to be, and so are you! You, Brendon and Mary Deane are examples of happiness and faith. Thank you for that gift.
I remember the huge lump in my throat as I read the post entitled: "we know now more than ever." Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us this past year. I think we've all been changed by Mary Deane, and by the faith you and Brendon have shown us.
oh my goodness, i just put make-up on, what a silly thing to do. So thankful that the Lord is in charge and that He knows all things. So grateful for Mary Deane and all that she has taught all who know her. Such a gift, such a blessing. Hugs, gramma jones
I don't even know you and I am crying as I type. I cannot imagine hearing those words. We have some WONDERFUL friends (I live in Chattanooga TN) who have a daughter (Mary Alice) whose also has CF and they are SOOOOO involved with the CF Foundation. My husband and I try to support in any way we can. So know that someone in TN, whom you don't even know, is contributing towards a cure for you sweet little girl!!! I pray for a beautiful LONG life for your MD!!! Kera Hughes
www.hughesxs4.blogspot.com
What an anniversary. One year. My goodness. I applaud you for truly celebrating each day and living it to the fullest. You are a beautiful example of how to love fully and with so much passion.
I came over to your blog from Jordan's (who I don't really know either--I just enjoy your sisters pictures and words:)--I hope you don't mind. Anyway, this post brought tears to my eyes. I have a cousin with CF. He is such a neat guy--he always wanted to serve a mission and they weren't sure if he would be able to---but I am happy to say that he is! He is from Alberta Canada and he is serving in warm and sunny Florida. He is loving every minute of it. Because of my cousin who I dearly love I have always supported the CF foundation--and now I have one more person to think and pray for as I write my contributions! She is beautiful and so are you! You inspire me to have more hope and faith--even when things don't go the way you wanted. Thank you!
Ann,
Jordan and I are friends from NOLA. Your initial post about MD (as well as Jordan's post) struck a cord with me, because my brother in law (he is married to my sister) has CF. I love what your dad said- that he doesn't define her as someone with CF. I think the same thing about Jake. He is a superstar.
I've asked him if he feels sad about his diagnosis. He said "if it weren't for CF I probably would have never been volunteering at the hospital and would have never met your sister (she worked there too)...that would have been sad. CF can be a blessing too."
Wishing you many happy moments.
Post a Comment