Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Take on Sentimentality





I am sentimental.

These were my grandmother Mary Deane's gloves. She was elegant and classy and that's how I feel when I wear them. But, my favorite part is the way they smell--like fresh face powder melded with a deep, opaque, sweet scent.

After she passed away, the traditional divvying of her belongings happened while I was on my mission in Ecuador. I didn’t really think about it until I got home and was handed a brown box of her things that my mother had set aside for me. I took the box to my room and set it carefully on my maroon clad bed and opened it. There were glasses, plates, jewelry, and these gloves. I took them out of the plastic bag, the scent reached my nose and the tears started coming. It was if I were standing in her long and skinny bathroom watching her get ready for the day. Those smells--so familiar and so her.

I've concluded that It isn’t the inanimate stuff that makes me so sentimental, rather, it’s the engendered senses which evoke those cherished memories.


I miss her.

5 comments:

No Big Dill said...

I like your take.

Gonzalez Family said...

Ann, this is Sydney Kramer Gonzalez from high school. I hope you don't mind that I peak at your blog occassionally since seeing it back in August from Hillary Roney's blog. You are such a beautiful and inspring writer. I love the way you so eloquently express your thoughts and feelings. I realize you and I haven't spoken for quite some time, but it is nice to see that you are doing well. Of course you are more than welcome to look at my family blog, but it isn't art like yours surely is!

Rebecca said...

I miss her, too. It creeps up on me, like the smell of the gloves. You are right about the senses--that is what triggers it for me!

Unknown said...

Love your sentiments about Gramma Clark. I bet she loves them too.

Ann said...

Hi Sydney! Could you leave a link to your blog? I'd love to see your family!