Monday, November 16, 2009

Neat Pleat






It's been very satisfying to start sewing again, not just to create something new but also because it's a frugal alternative to buying new clothes.

This skirt is a high-waisted pencil skirt with a slight A-line. The front sports an inverted box pleat with a velvet underlay. The velvet is echoed in the faux double bow and band.

The material was originally made for upholstery but it worked perfectly to achieve the design I had in my head. It was stiff enough to keep the ruffled top standing and the pleat neat and crisp. The velvet wasn't quite as generous, but with patience I got it to cooperate.

I am not an avid liner. I have done a couple of projects with a lining but I find it dull because, essentially, you are sewing the same thing twice. I went ahead and made a lining for this skirt due to the rougher upholstery material and I converted! It gives it a more professional look and feels luxurious.

16 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Yay for lining EVERYTHING!

It looks fabulous.

YOU look fabulous.

Ali said...

ann you are ever so talented. looks wonderful!!!

l i z said...

just stunning, Ann!

Anonymous said...

etsy here you come! It is even more beautiful now because I can see it so much more clearly. God has blessed you with so many talents. Hugs, tina jones

Mark and Heather said...

What a fabulous skirt! You look amazing in it. This brings back so many memories of long hours spent in the sewing room at Provo High listening to your Dave Matthews cd. Good times!!

Ashley Thalman said...

Whoa! That is one skirt!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You are a great seamstress and model. :) Great job!

cindy baldwin said...

I love it! It looks like a great holiday season skirt, too.

And yes, you are more than welcome to add my blog to your list!

Anonymous said...

the skirt is gorgeous! just like you!

Unknown said...

DITTO all of the above!
Love the combination of the contrasting fabrics.

Rebecca said...

Looks even better on you!

Jordan said...

LOVE the bow and the ruffled top!! Hooray for ruffles and bows!

Jessica said...

Beautiful! What a creation!

hillary and britton said...

Ann it's beautiful!

Carol said...

I just wanted you to know that I think the skirt is GOR.GE.OUS!!!

Tasha said...

That's a stunner!