Oh, these succulent, chubby cheeks say so much. We have worked endlessly to fatten them up. You see, a CF patient has problems with two systems-- the respiratory and the digestive. The first is more concerning than the latter because it is lung disease from which all CF patients die. Their immune system is weakened because of their condition and they easily catch things (needless to say I've become a germaphobe). The second system, digestive, can either perpetuate or alleviate the respiratory problem. The more weight she gains, the better her lung health. But her CF makes it hard for her to digest fat and it's soluable vitamins, making it very difficult to gain weight.
I kiss those chubby cheeks so many times a day that she has now started to push me back ("you're kissing me again!?"). That chub gives me hope and is a little reward for our hard work. And, really it is just so darn adorable!

4 comments:
I'd say they're cherubic chubby cheeks. I'd kiss them off, too.
Oh, chubby cheeks are such a wonderful sight--such a huge symbol of health. Those cheeks are Nick's favorite kind. Mia says no and pushes him away all the time. He's a sucker for chubby cheeks!
Yes, kiss away! Kiss again for me.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone express regret over kissing their child too much... You should stop only if it begins to interfere with her eating or breathing.
Think I might go find my baby and kiss her (rapidly thinning) cheeks.
Jennifer
(Katy's friend)
Post a Comment