Monday, August 10, 2009

Saturating Glance

At times, I get caught up in the momentum of life, which makes its way into its next stage almost always without my permission.  To counter this phenomenon, I occasionally step out-of-body, so to speak, to take a spectator’s glance at the moment.  For, it is the moments that matter.  Tonight, Brendon and I were eating our Paneer Tikka Masala with garlic naan accompanied by sleeping MD’s noisy, static breathing coming through the monitor in the background.  Our words pleasantly glided back and forth.  The topics varied from satisfying to serious.  I was enjoying our time so much so that I took that “out-of-body” glance--as though I were standing behind me, simply observing as the two of us continued to fall more in love.  I made a mental effort to enjoy it, to soak it in, to let it saturate me, let it permeate my memory.  I am afraid I let these moments go by too often without taking that saturating glance--those moments when life refuels my endurance.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes. I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for the reminder to step back more often.

Unknown said...

"saturating glance" is the perfect description of what we all need to do on occasion.

No Big Dill said...

I know. I know. It's just so hard sometimes to have a quiet moment to even remember to do that.

Unknown said...

AND it's nice to see a different view of your abode.

Christina said...

I agree--nice living room! Saturating glance. I like the term. And I need to do it more often. The other night Nick and I lay awake snickering and joking. It was heaven, because it felt like we hadn't taken time to do that in so long. I'll try to remember to take more saturating glances.