Ralph Waldo Emerson:
“That which we persist in doing becomes easier - not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased.”
This goes through my mind a lot these days. We are doing really well. We feel normal (whatever normal is). We are happy. We are not letting Cystic Fibrosis define who we are, although it does define what we do a lot of the time, but how we do it is completely in our power. I examine our lives, wondering why we are so naturally happy. We aren’t trying to be strong and put on a facade that, despite this hard thing, we are happy-go-lucky. Sometimes optimism seems unnatural, as though it’s wrong to feel sad and sorry. I’ve decided to let myself feel what I feel and keep it monitored with the Spirit and not let it leave those boundaries. It keeps me safe but allows me to feel what I feel. I love being naturally happy.
Back to Emerson’s quote, I believe the key word is ability. I feel our ability to cope with MD’s condition (and all that is required of us because of it) has increased. I’ve been processing this through my mind, asking myself “Why are we doing so well? Not much has changed; we still do the same thing everyday. Why does it feel different?” At first, I ignorantly gave credit to the fact that, as human beings, we adapt amazingly well to our circumstances. But, the other day I read this in Mosiah 24:14:
And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
It was an eye-opener. I faultily give myself credit way too much. He has eased our burdens, and at times we really cannot feel them on our backs--there are days when we hardly give CF time in our thoughts, we just do what needs to be done. We are witnesses that God does visit His people in their afflictions. God has increased “our ability to do”.

8 comments:
Thank you Ann. I love that Emerson quote and also the reminder of that scripture. It is so true--we just don't give Him credit.
You ARE witnesses of Him. And good ones at that!
PS Cool Pool! Looks like you guys are on vacation in VA.
Very beautifully learned, shared, and written. I'm so glad that you guys are genuinely happy and also feeling what you need to feel when you feel it. I felt one word pop out in my mind when I read this post: "balance." The Spirit brings balance to chaos, and you've let the Lord take control. You guys are simply amazing.
I think Mary Deane is laughing at how goofy her daddy is being in this picture! Great words Ann!
Wonderfully wise and heartfelt. Thanks Ann. Hugs, Tina (mom in law) (I just like writing that because it is so cool to be a mom in law.)
one more thing, tell Brendon to look at his last four blogs or so incase he wants to read my comments. I finally got around to commenting on everyone's today. Hugs, Brendon's mom, Tina :)
Ann, you are so wise. Thank you for reminding us of where our strength comes from.
Post a Comment