Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Melting Rigidity

I sit myself on our pink couch and slide my feet in close as I settle to stubbornly read my magazine and let off frustrated fumes.  He knows they’re sent his way and at times they meet his own.  Sitting close to me, he lifts my feet to put them in his lap.  At first that is as much contact we’ll allow each other.  He starts.  I listen.  I start.  He listens.  We let it out, always rigid with our refractory temperaments.  But I tell you, no one, absolutely no one can make my rigidity melt like he does.  He softens me.  He never raises his voice; we decided that just isn’t in us to belittle each other with heightened tones.  His respect subdues me and pushes me to love him better.  


5 comments:

Jessica said...

I am grateful you have each other--communicating frustrations is never easy, especially in the early years of a marriage when you are still figuring each other out. There is such a vulnerability in intimate relationships so it is critical to trust each other to be kind during tough times.

No Big Dill said...

Respect is critical. I am glad you have decided that early in your marriage. And I'm glad he softens you. A good man.

Unknown said...

WOW! You two are mature beyond your years.

Christina said...

I'm glad you found the Mr. Perfect for you, Ann. You deserve it, after all! And you are SO right--there is no reason for heightened tones. Way to go, guys.

John said...

great pic - best one on here (sorry if you didn't take it!)

i live in grand haven, mich and we have a pretty cool lighthouse and pier that EVERYONE takes pics of. lots of good lighthouses on the great lakes!