Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Part of the Club



Walking down the canned goods aisle is different. Riding the Metro holds an unfamiliar ambiance. Checking out books at the library is not the same. Sitting through Sunday School has changed. Talking with friends on the phone has a different taste to it. Exchanging ideas with sisters are new.


It’s different, yes. Why? I am now apart of a club called motherhood. At the grocery store I feel like a celebrity as people stare, smile and make comments to each other. They’re not talking about me but my adorable 5-month-attachment. They begin to ask me questions: “Oh! How old is she?” or, “She’s so cute, is she sleeping for you?” and “Is this your first?”. It’s as if we are the best of buds. MD does that. She melts any barriers. On the metro, where people keep to themselves as if their neighboring metro-rider has a contagious disease, she softens those grim looks to reveal a genuine smile. I find it all too entertaining.


Conversations habitually turn to her or relative topics. I am the youngest of my three sisters and now feel closer than ever as we share our mothering good and bad times, our advice or tricks in rearing our little ones, or simply knowing we understand each other.


It’s a new world for me and I’m loving it. Wanna join the club?


10 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Yes! Again and again and again and again and once more!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how once your daughter is here that's all everyone talks about. I wouldn't have it any other way! Your a great mom to Mary Dean.

Anonymous said...

I love the mother's club and I would have had more kid's if I could have (they just get better and better with age) :) but I really really love the grandmother's club. Thanks for making me a grandma. Hugs, grandma Jones

Christina said...

Ooooh, I wanna join! Wait...I suppose I did without initially knowing that I was joining this universal club. Isn't it amazing how a child breaks down barriers and bridges age and cultural gaps?? You hit the nail on the head!

Rebecca said...

It is the best! Thanks for helping me be a part!

Unknown said...

It looks like Mary Deane has the raised eyebrow skill.

lindsay said...

I'm so glad you visited my blog! It sure is fun to find friends in the blogosphere. Your blog is lovely, as is your darling daughter.

hillary and britton said...

I'm proud to say I'm part of the club too! I know exactly how you feel on the metro. On the Tube here, every one keeps to themselves, unless of course Nora is with us. Then it's like people start acting more human instead of like un-interested robots. Smiles creep across their faces, and this city doesn't seem as big anymore. Nora breaks down unseen barriers.

Jessica said...

I love being a mom, truly. Also, I think people appreciate children more in these parts--when The Deuce and I go to Costco, we bring down THE HOUSE. People love the novelty of children around here. When I visited family in Utah--we were hardly noticed, not so novel.

Brendon said...

I don't think I can join, maybe an honorary member?