I feel like I just left my childhood. The home where I grew up fostered imagination like a sun-filled windowsill brings rising dough to life. It was filled with secret doors, permanent ladders that led to nowhere, smells of multiplying boxelder bugs, dozens of trees to rescue me from the melting sun, and enough odds and ends to satisfy my thirst to create.
I wasn't immune to boredom despite my surroundings but I was the only one to blame for that. Gratefully, my parents didn't overbook us with lessons or clubs and we were allowed to do as we pleased after our chores.
My memories are becoming more important to me now. Many of the physical evidences of these memories are gone--some due to distance, others because of my own changing body and circumstance and some permanently altered where others have taken our place and now are creating their own memories.
What is it about memories that make us cling to their distant familiarity or at times, abandon their wounding impressions? Near and far, these memories teach us, remind us, and guide us to continue making new ones.
Memories cultivate hope.

8 comments:
Love your memories of memories!
Experience. It is so important! I love the idea of memories cultivating hope. At least that is how we should look at it, right? Thanks for getting me thinking!
Well said! I think it's easy to let memories lead to depression if we decide to only see the hard things in the present and the golden things of the past. I like this idea of letting memories cultivate hope in us for the present and future, to "guide us to continue making new ones." I'm going to remember that...
Great post. I hope each day my children have good memories of their childhood.
Ann I like how you write "memories cultivate hope." I think you are correct, they do! I like how you and Mary have the same expression.
Those are two very cute girls.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Where are you from?
Your blog is clean & beautiful, and this was a nice thought provoking post!
I get a little sad about some memories of mine that have faded & are hard to grasp anymore - I need to record them! I guess that is why blogging is helpful these days too!
...Say hi anytime!
-Breanne, MomByDesign
beautiful!!
Post a Comment