Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You Say I Say



Dearest Parents,


We just exchanged our morning and evening greetings:

You say good morning to me.

I say good evening to you.


Here it is only the twenty-eighth but there it is the twenty-ninth.

You say I was the best anniversary gift you ever received.

I say you were so kind to set your special date aside to celebrate mine.


For the first time in 25 years, you don’t have to do that this time.

You say you didn’t mind.

I say I appreciated it.


Thirty-three years.

You say it’s been great.

I say wow.


The respect is mutual.

You say that is what it’s all about.

I say that is what I want in my marriage (and we’re working on it).


Serving the Lord in Korea.

You say it’s a privilege.

I say you’re making an eternal influence.


Still holding hands while you walk.

You say of course!

I say it’s rare.


A great family to show.

You say that’s what matters most.

I say thanks for teaching us.


Five homes you’ve made together.

You say to house your “hawneys”.

I say you’ve made them sanctuaries.


An eternal marriage.

You say it’s your greatest blessing.

I say you are one of ours.


Love,

Ann

4 comments:

No Big Dill said...

Very nice.

Rebecca said...

What a wonderful, poetic tribute. Thank you Ann! You ARE the best anniversary gift!

Unknown said...

Love you Ann! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Ann,
I am sharing something from one on my very favorite birthday cards that I ever sent to somebody. While you are reading this (actually sing it to the tune of Happy Birthday to you) and picture dancing hippos, fluttering birdies and dancing female lamb (ewes) while you sing.....
Hippo, Birdee, two ewes
Hippo, Birdee, two ewes,
Hippo, Birdee, dear Ann,
Hippo, Birdee, two ewes.
I would sing it to you if I were there. :) I hope you had a great birthday week and a fun birthday. I love you and feel so blessed to have you as my daughter in law. Hugs, Tina