
I inherited my love of soups from my mom. I once read '"soup is like a meal in a bowl". I am not the only one with this addiction to soup, you can find a whole week devoted to soups on Jordan's blog HERE. Last night the only thing to satisify hunger was corn chowder. I combined three different recipes for this meal in a bowl.
Corn Chowder:
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 meduim leeks (white and light green parts only) chopped finely
1 14 oz can of chicken broth (I added an extra can to thin it out a bit)
2-3 medium sized potatoes cut into small chunks
4-5 cups of frozen corn (or fresh if available)
1 to 2 fire roasted chiles poblanos chopped (Wear gloves!!! My hands were burning the rest of the night)
1 1/2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
1 cup of milk
2 cups of cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: add a cup and a half of cheddar cheese (very yummy)
Put onion in pot with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, let cook until golden and add the leeks and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes covered or until potatoes are tender. Add the frozen corn, and chiles poblanos (put in two if you like a bit of a kick of spiciness and be careful if you have cuts in your hands...ouch). Then add the fennel seeds (this was a wonderful addition to the flavor). Let the soup simmer while the corn thaws/cooks and the flavors combine. Add the milk, cream, salt and pepper.
Enjoy!

3 comments:
Yum, yum, yum! I love that soup. Sounds like the perfect combination! And such a lovely setting, too.
It was so good it made me cry. Love you.
Brendon
Ooh, sounds at once soothing and spicy! I think I'll give it a try tomorrow, I have all the ingredients (sort of).
Post a Comment